How to use Journal Sentinel apps, website, push alerts, newsletters
All of our news subscribers have 24/7 access to Wisconsin’s most comprehensive and in-depth news coverage, through our jsonline.com website, online edition, and apps for smartphones and tablets.
Here’s how to activate and use your digital access to stay up to date with news important to you.
What do I get when I subscribe?
Our digital subscription – free for home delivery subscribers and available to new digital subscribers – offers full and unlimited access to jsonline.com, the Journal Sentinel apps for smartphones and tablets, and the Journal Sentinel e-edition.
I subscribe to home delivery. How do I start using my digital subscription?
All you have to do is register your account at jsonline.com. If you have an email address linked to your account, visit jsonline.com/activate to get started.
If you don’t have an email address linked to your account, or if you’re not sure, follow the steps below:
- Visit jsonline.com or download our app from your phone manufacturer’s app store. You can find the “Login” button on the top right of the website or on the gear symbol on your mobile app.
- Enter your first and last name. Then create a username and password.
- Link your subscriptions. Enter your last name and postal code and phone number.
- Need additional help? Call customer service at 1-844-900-7103.
Can everyone in my home access the digital subscription?
Yes, print subscribers can also share digital access with other members of their household. You will need to login using an email and password.
I already have a Sentinel Journal subscription. How can I make sure I have full digital access on my computer, laptop, phone, tablet, etc. ?
Once registered, you only need to log in once on each computer or mobile device you have. After that, you will have full access to every device, at all times.
If you follow a link to jsonline.com through the Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram app on your phone, you may also need to log in there.
You will also need to log into our applications.
What apps do I need?
The Journal Sentinel offers two applications:
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel news app, which is continuously updated with the latest news, as it happens. Download the app by visiting jsonline.com/app on your smartphone or tablet.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel eEdition – an exact replica of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper, plus bonus national content, updated every morning with the latest edition.
To download this app, visit the App Store or Google Play Store on your tablet or smartphone and search for “Milwaukee Journal Sentinel eEdition”,
How can I be sure to see all the stories on the topics that interest me?
ON THE WEBSITE
The jsonline.com homepage features the most important stories of the day, breaking news, and recent projects and investigations. Use the top menu to browse individual sections in more depth or bookmark these links:
Life and Entertainment
ON OUR APPS
Applications are also navigable by section. Press the Divisions button at the bottom of the screen to find the topics that interest you.
the Top Stories The app menu offers a mix of the latest news and the most important recent stories.
RECEIVE ALERTS ON YOUR PHONE
Get the latest news, traffic alerts, sports scores, weather, business news and more in real time through the app. Visit the app’s settings page via the gear icon at the top of the screen to choose which notifications to receive. You can also schedule “quiet periods” — times of day when we won’t send you alerts.
Want alerts on specific topics, places or people? Press the “Add subject +” button at the top of any story to get alerted whenever we post a story on that topic.
You can also set topics to follow on the My subjects app page.
- Wisconsin Politics
- Milwaukee Government
- Residential real estate
- growth and development
- Crime and Public Safety
- Investigative journalism
- Eat, eat and drink
- Things to do
- Home & Garden
- Milwaukee dollars
- Wisconsin Basketball
- Wisconsin Football
- Marquette Golden Eagles
- Green Bay Packers
- High school baseball
- High school basketball
- high school football
WITH NEWSLETTERS AND EMAIL ALERTS
The Journal Sentinel offers weekly and daily newsletters on a variety of topics. Once you have activated our account, you can select which one you would like to receive at: https://profile.jsonline.com/newsletters/manage/
- The Daily Briefing, which highlights the biggest news of the day and is sent every morning seven days a week
- Business Watch, highlighting the economic, commercial and development news of the day, sent daily
- On Wisconsin Politics, a preview of the week’s top political news from veteran reporter Bill Glauber, sent on Wednesdays
- Openings and closings, a roundup of new store and restaurant openings, or closures of favorites
- Dish, the latest food and restaurant news, sent on Fridays
- Things to Do, a roundup of events and entertainment in the Milwaukee area, sent Thursdays
- First Nations, covering Wisconsin’s 12 native nations and other tribal news, sent Wednesdays
- Be MKE by Hannah Kirby, which highlights stories about Milwaukee, its people and what’s happening around town, sent out on Wednesdays
- Newsletters about your favorite sports teams, sent daily in season and weekly out of season: Packers | dollars | Brewers | Badgers
- Travel, a roundup of ideas for going out across our great state, sent on Wednesdays
- Wisconsin Family, stories and ideas for families, sent Tuesdays and Thursdays
The electronic edition allows you to:
- Easily browse and jump to your favorite sections
- Cut and share articles with your friends and family
- Increase or decrease text size for easy reading
- Listen to articles read aloud
- Access previous editions published in the last 30 days
- Access over 200 local electronic editions on the USA TODAY Network
- See Sports Plus and News Plus – sections with breaking news and scores that do not appear in the print edition
Here are some quick tips to help you easily access and navigate the electronic edition.
How to access from your office:
- Log in to your account on our site
- Click on e-publishing on the site navigation bar
How to access from a mobile device or tablet
- Download the free app via the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Open the app and log into your account
You can also easily access the electronic edition in our Daily Briefing newsletter, delivered to your inbox every morning.
How to navigate the electronic edition:
The browse mode is the default view of the electronic edition.
- Click “Browse” in the black navigation bar. Use the left and right arrows on your screen to navigate the pages.
- Click “Browse” a second time to zoom into a page.
- Hover over “Browse” to access a menu where you can further control your Browse view mode. Select the 1x or 2x display option; you can also “lock” this option.
Pages view is an easy way to quickly scan through all of the paper.
- Click on “Pages” in the black navigation bar to see and easily access all the pages of the edition you are viewing.
- Click on any page image to open and view it.
Index mode allows you to browse topics, and offers several content formatting options for reading, printing or sharing:
- Navigate through Section A, Section B, and other sections you know of from the print edition. In addition, find the News Extra and Sports Extra sections, as well as USA Today, under the headingbonus editionlabel
- Select a story or an image on the paper and it will load on the right side of your screen. This makes it easier to read while still looking at the paper.
- Press the arrows to the right and left of the page image to change pages.
- When an article is selected, you can reduce or increase the text size, listen to the article, and switch between graphical and textual views of the article by selecting the appropriate icon at the top of the article on your screen.
How to access USA Today and over 200 local newspapers
- In the electronic edition, click on the icon labeled Universal in the right navigation bar.
- On the left side, select a state to see available e-edition publications.
- Select the post you want to read.
- Good reading
Download, print and share:
There are two ways to save and share articles:
- Click “Index” in the black navigation bar. Select the content on the paper you want to print so that it displays on the right side of the screen. Click the Print icon directly above the content.
- If you prefer to define the area of the page to be printed, click the Share icon, then select the Clip option from the Share menu.
- Click “Browse”, then select the page number in the upper left or right corner of the displayed page. Then select the Share icon and follow the instructions to highlight/clip the area to be printed.
You can search for previous editions up to 30 days:
- To search for past editions, click “Search Archives” in the black navigation bar. A search page will appear on your screen. Insert the word or text to search for and click the Search button.
- After the search results load, click a page number to display that page. Click on the title of an article or on the image of an ad to open it for reading.